Distinguished Service to SSSS Award
The Distinguished Service to the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality Award was initiated in 1985. The award is granted to a member of the Society in recognition of outstanding service to the organization.
Nominating Individuals for Distinguished Service to SSSS Award
Deadline: March 15 of each calendar year.
The SSSS Awards and Fellows Committee welcomes nomination materials for Distinguished Service to SSSS Award on or before March 15.
Distinguished Service to SSSS Criteria
This award is granted to a member of The Society for outstanding and extensive service to The Society. Examples would include, but not be restricted to, extensive participation on committees or task forces, the holding of important organizational positions or election to national or regional office, and the creation of a new region or local chapter.
Award nomination guidelines, as modified by the SSSS Board of Directors in November 2008:
1. “The Awards Committee is committed to avoiding potential conflicts of interest. Hence, members of the Awards Committee and Executive Committee of The Society’s Board of Directors are ineligible for consideration for any/all Society awards considered by the Awards Committee during their term of service.”
2. All Society award nominations require the following materials in a single evidence file: the award candidate’s current vita and two letters of support by Society members.
3. The individual who assumes responsibility for nominating a particular candidate for an award (not the Awards Committee) bears responsibility for locating individuals willing to support the nomination and for submitting the complete evidence file for a candidate to the Awards Committee Chair. S/he agrees to collect all necessary information and transmit this electronically to the Chair of the Fellows/Awards Committee on or before the March 15 deadline. The Awards/ Fellow Committee Chair will not take this role.
4. Each nominator assumes responsibility for collecting appropriate data on an award candidate without a candidate’s knowledge of the nomination to prevent disappointment and safeguard confidential discussion of qualifications
5. The official deadline for complete files (all information needed for the Awards/Fellows Committee to consider a candidate for a potential award or fellow status) is March 15. The Committee will not consider incomplete files and late nominations following the March 15 date
6. Please use email to address any questions and nomination materials to Mandy Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1985 - Leah Cahan Schaefer, Ed.D.
- 1987 - Clive M. Davis, Ph.D.
- 1988 - Deborah Weinstein, M.S.W.
- 1990 - Andrew E. Behrendt, Ph.D.
- 1991 - Elizabeth Rice Allgeier, Ph.D.
- 1992 - Barbara Wiedeman Ruppel, M.S.W.
- 1995 - Sandra L. Davis
- 1996 - Marilyn Fithian, Ph.D.
- 1997 - Rebecca Black, M.A.
- 1998 - Robert Friar, Ph.D.
- 1999 - Vern Bullough, Ph.D.
- 2002 - Sharon McNeely, Ph.D.
- 2008 - William Yarber, HSD
- 2009 - Patricia Koch, Ph.D.
- 2009 - John DeLamater, Ph.D.
- 2012 - Eli Coleman, Ph.D.
- 2013 - Konnie McCaffree, Ph.D.