Awards & Grants
The Society sponsors a number of awards, some presented annually and some periodically.
Application instructions are provided for Student Research Grants, the FSSS Grants-in-Aid program, and for nomination as Fellows of the Society. Other awards are presented at the discretion of the Society's Board of Directors.
Nominating Individuals for SSSS Awards
Deadline: March 1, 2014
The SSSS Awards and Fellows Committee welcomes nomination materials for the following three 2014 awards from SSSS members and fellows on or before March 1, 2014.
2. Distinguished Scientific Achievement Award
3. Distinguished Service to SSSS award
“The Awards Committee is committed to avoiding potential conflicts of interest. Hence, members of the Awards Committee and Executive Committee of The Society’s Board of Directors are ineligible for consideration for any/all Society awards considered by the Awards Committee during their term of service.”
Nominations for the Public Service Award are not open to the general membership of the Society. Only members of the Awards Committee and The Society’s Board of Directors can nominate candidates for this award by addressing a letter to the Awards Committee Chair on or before March 1, 2014.
Here are the award nomination guidelines, as modified by the SSSS Board of Directors in November 2008:
- All Society award nominations require the following materials in a single evidence file: the award candidate’s current vita and two letters of support by Society members. Fellow nominations require that at least one of the letters of support be prepared by a current SSSS fellow.
- The individual who assumes responsibility for nominating a particular candidate for an award (not the Awards Committee) bears responsibility for locating individuals willing to support the nomination and for submitting the complete evidence file for a candidate to the Awards Committee Chair. S/he agrees to collect all necessary information and transmit this electronically to the Chair of the Fellows/Awards Committee on or before the March 1 deadline. The Awards/ Fellow Committee Chair will not take this role.
- Each nominator assumes responsibility for collecting appropriate data on an award candidate without a candidate’s knowledge of the nomination to prevent disappointment and safeguard confidential discussion of qualifications. The only exception to this is if a Society member nominates him or herself for Fellow recognition.
- The official deadline for complete files (all information needed for the Awards/Fellows Committee to consider a candidate for a potential award or fellow status) is March 1, 2014. The Committee will not consider incomplete files and late nominations following the March 1st date.
Please use email to address any questions and nomination materials to Mandy Peters at email@example.com
AWARDS & FELLOWS POLICY AND PROCEDURE