The Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality is dedicated to advancing knowledge of sexuality. To acquire that knowledge the Society requires freedom of inquiry, support for research, and an interdisciplinary network of collaborating scholars. The Society believes in the importance of both the production of quality research and the application of sexual knowledge in educational, clinical, and other settings. The Society also sees as essential the communication of accurate information about sexuality to professionals, policy makers, and the general public.
Scientific knowledge of sexuality forms the foundation for all professional services in sexuality. This knowledge is different from opinion, requiring the collection and interpretation of evidence using public, universal, and critical scholarly standards. To this end, The Society fosters a world-wide, interdisciplinary community for professionals who, regardless of their specialization, are committed to a serious, scholarly, and scientific approach to acquiring and disseminating knowledge of sexuality. The Society provides a forum for communication, collaboration, and critical evaluation among sexuality professionals.
The Society is also dedicated to promoting human welfare by reducing ignorance and prejudice about sexuality. Science illuminates sexuality; joined with wisdom and compassion, it enhances the quality of lives.
Long Term Objectives
- To advance the quality and quantity of the knowledge base in sexual science.
- To foster the recognition of sexual science as rigorous and multidisciplinary within the community of science, with public policy makers, and with the general public.
- To communicate the implications of sexual science.
- To enhance the human resources of The Society by recruiting members and developing the skills of the membership.
- To maximize revenues from existing financial resources and expand sources of income.